50+ likely Jamb chemistry Questions
1. Which of the following substances is not a homogeneous mixture?
A. Filtered sea water
B. Soft drink
C. Flood water
D. Writing Ink
2. Which of the following substance is mixture?
A. sulphur powder
C. distilled water
3. which of the following exampe is an example of a mixture?
B. washing soda
C. common salt
4. Mixture is different from compound because?
A. The properties of a compound are those of its individual constituents while those of a mixture differ from its constituents
B. a mixture is always homogeneous while a compound is not
C. The constituents of a compound are chemically bound together while those of a mixture are not.
D. a mixture can be represented by a chemical formula while a compound cannot
5. The addition of water to calcium oxide leads to?
A. a physical change
B. a chemical change
C. the formation of mixture
D. an endothermic change
6. Which of the following is a physical change?
A. Freezing ice-cream
B. dissolving calcium in water
C. burning kerosene
D. Exposing white phosphorus to air
7. Which of the following compounds and elements would sublime on exposure to the atmosphere?
8. sodium chloride may be obtained from brine by
9. A mixture of petrol and water can be separated through?
A. the use of filter paper
B. the use of a separating funnel
10. A mixture of iron and sulphur can be separated by dissolving the mixture in?
B. dillute hydrochloric acid
C. dillute sodium hydroxide
11. An element X forms the following compounds with Chlorine; XCL₃, XCL₄,XCL₂. This illustrates the
A. Law of multiple proportions
B. law of chemical proportions
C. Law of simple proportions
D. Law of definite proportions
12. 50cm³ of hydrogen are sparked with 20cm³ of oxygen at 100°C and I atmosphere. The total volume of the residual gases is?
13. How many grams of hydrogen gas will be liberated when 6g of magnesium ribbon dissolves in 500 cm³ of 6MHCI? (Mg = 24, H = 1, cl = 35.5)
14. The number of atoms in one mole of a substance is equal to?
A. the atomic number
B. the avogadro number
C. the gas constant
D. the number of electrons
15. How many grams of methylacetylene(propyne) CH3 – C≡CH completely discharge the colour of 8g of bromine? (Br = 80, C = 12, H = 1)
16. The ratio of the number of molecules in 2g of hydrogen to that in 16g of oxygen is
17. How much magnesium is required to react with 250cm3 of 0.5M HCl? [Mg = 24]
18. At the same temperature and pressure, 50cm³ of nitrogen gas contains the same number of molecules as
A. 25cm³ of methane
B. 40cm³ of hydrogen
C. 50cm³ of ammonia
D. 100cm³ of chlorine
19. 20cm³ of a 2.0M solution of ethanoic acid was added to excess of 0.05M sodium hydroxide. The mass of the salt produced is [Na = 23, C = 2, 0 = 16, H = 1]
20. Equal volume of all gases at the same temperature and pressure contain the same number of molecules is an expression of?
A. Avogadro’s law
B. Charles law
C. Graham’s law
D. Boyles law
21. What volume of oxygen is produced from the decomposition of 2 moles of KCLO3 at s.t.p [Molar volume of a gas at s.t.p = 22.4dm³]
22. 0.07g of hydride of carbon occupies 56.0cm³ at S.T.P when vapourized and contains 14.29% by mass of hydrogen. The formular of the hydrocarbon is (c=12, H=1).
23. 1.00g of the oxide metal X (atomic mass = 64) gave 0.80g of the metal when reduced with hydrogen. The formular of the Oxide is?
24. What are the values of x,y and z respectively in the equation xCu + yHNO3 -> xCu(NO3)2 + 4H2O + zNO?
25. A compound contains 31.91% potassium, 28.93% chlorine and the rest oxygen. What is the chemical formula of the compound? [K=39, cl=35.5,O=16]
More on 50+ likely Jamb chemistry Questions
26. Cal; the % by mass of nitrogen in calcium trioxonitrate (V) [Ca = 40,N=14,O=16]
27. How many grams of 2(HBr) would exactly be required to react with 2g of propyne? (c=12, H=1, Br=80)
28. How many moles of limestone will be required to produce 5.6g of Cao? [Ca=40, C=12, O=16]
29. The volume of 2.5moles of oxygen at s.t.p is
30. According to the kinetic theory, an increase in temperature causes the kinetic energy of particles to
C. remain constant
D. be zero
31. which of the following is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the molecules of a substance?
32. Under high pressure, real gases do not obey gas laws because their molecules
A. have become more energetic
B. have become less energetic
C. have become smaller in size
D. start repelling each other
33. Increasing the pressure of a gas?
A. lowers the average kinetic energy of a molecule
B. decreases the density of the gas
C. decreases the temperature of the gas
D. increases the density of the gas
34. The boiling points of water, ethanol, toluene and butan-2-ol are 373.0K, 351.3K, 383.6K and 372.5K respectively. Which liquid has the highest vapour pressure at 323.0 k?
35. The fundamental difference btw the three states of matter is the
A. Shape of their particles
B. number of particles in each state
C. shape of the container they occupy
D. degree of movement of their particles
36. The process whereby a gaseous body loses some of its kinetic energy to a colder body is referred to as
37. Which of the following is not likely to be involved in intermolecular attraction?
A. Vander Waal’s forces
B. dative bond
C. Covalent bond
D. hydrogen bond
38. At 25°C and 1 atm, a gas occupies a volume of 1.50dm³. What volume will it occupy at 100°C and 1 atm?
39. If 30cm³ of a gas at 50°C is warmed to 80°C at a fixed pressure, the fractional increase is
40. What is the temperature of a given mass of gas iniitially 0°C and 9 atm, if the pressure is reduced to 3 atm at constant volume?
41. To what temperature must a gas at 273k be heated in order to double both its volume and pressure?
42. An oxide XO2 has a vapour density of 32. What is the atomic mass of X?
43. For a gas, the relative molecular mass is equal to 2Y. What is Y?
A. The mass of the gas
B. The vapor density of the gas
C. The volume of the gas
D. The temperature of the gas
44. Which of the following substances has the lowest vapour density? [O=16, Cl=35.5, H=1,c=12]
A. Ethanoic acid
45. 56.00cm³ of a gas at s.t.p weighed 0.11g, What is the vapour density of the gas? [Molar volume of a gas at s.t.p = 22.4dm³]
46. The nucleus of an atom contains
A. A protons only
B. neutrons only
C. protons and electrons
D. protons and neutrons
47. A particle that contains 11 protons, 12 neutrons and 10 electrons falls under?
A. neutral non-metal
B. metallic ion
C. non metallic ion
D. nuetral ion
48. The mass of an atom is determined by?
A. its ionization potetial
B. its electrochemical potential
C. the number of protons
D. the number of neutrons and protons
49. The maximum number of electrons in the L shell of an atom?
50. how many unpaired electrons are in the p-orbitals of fluorine atom?
Please, kindly share this post if you think it can be helpful to another person, please share it on Twitter, Facebook, Whatsapp or Email it to friends. Use the share buttons, subscribe to our site and get the latest updates directly via your Email!!